What is the Full form of WI-FI?
If you search over the Internet and type Wi-Fi you will find various pages that have mentioned Wi-Fi as Wireless Fidelity which is a world-wide misconception for the full form of WiFi.
The Wi-Fi Alliance, the organization that holds the trademark has given it the name Wifi, however, the actual full form of WiFi is “Wireless Local Area Network(WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 802.11 standards.”
Many tech giants in their press releases and publications have used the word “Wireless Fidelity” and the name was abbreviated in the market.
How Wi-Fi Works?
Wi-fi is a wireless networking technology that enables electronic devices to connect and exchange data or the Internet using ISM radio bands. The components of Wi-fi are focused on IEEE developed 802.11 standards and is a trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance.
To connect the devices from a Wifi a router is attached which is a hard-wired internet connection receiver. The router then sends the signals within 66 feet (20 meters) and the devices that are Wi-Fi compatible can be connected through the router to access the internet.
Devices & Applications of Wi-Fi
Nowadays pretty much all the gadgets and appliances come with wifi enabled technology. The most common devices that use Wi-Fi technology are
• Personal Computers
• Mobile Phones
• Video Game Consoles
• Surveillance Cameras
There are now many other home appliances that have Wi-fi technology like vacuum cleaners, washing machines, and so on with handy apps that you can start the devices from anywhere within the range in a few clicks.
Essential Features of Wi-Fi Connection
The most essential features of a wi-fi connection which anybody uses in his day to day life are:
• Internet sharing various device connected within the same range
• File sharing between different devices connected in the network
• Sending files to computers for printing/scanning and sending files to mobile phones
• Using mirror cast feature to screen share or mirroring devices
• Using mobile phones as remotes to manage various devices.
• Streaming media files from mobile phones to a smart TV or smartphones
• Streaming audio and music through wireless speakers
Important Characteristics of Wi-Fi network
The most common characteristics which make wi-fi different from other communication technology are:
• Wi-fi networks are established with the help of routers and hotspots
• Wi-fi uses radio signals to make a connection between the devices
• Wi-fi is based on technology in which devices are communicated through a wireless bridge
• Wi-fi usually broadcasts at frequencies ranging from 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
• To make a connection through Wi-fi a modem is required which is provided by ISP (Internet Service Provider). The router then creates the wireless network between the devices.
Pros Of Wifi
In today’s world Wi-fi is almost everywhere and it’s the need of an hour. One cannot imagine a world now without wifi. The main reason why it’s like by all are:
• Versatile to connect with any kind of device like TV, Mobiles, Gaming Consoles, Tablets, etc. all you need is a name of the Wi-fi and password
• No hassle of wires and cables anymore, You can connect with pretty much anywhere within the network at your ease without looking for attaching cables.
• Economical as there are very few resources required as compared to in the wired networks and the hassle of buying new wires or handling responsibly.
Cons of Wifi
Wifi may be one of the easiest and most commonly used technology however the technology has few cons like
•Since it’s a wireless technology a person within the network reach can easily hack and can track your activities and can get access to your files or data.
• If there are various devices connected within the same network the speed varies as compared to wired connections.
• The range of the Wi-fi is 20 meters( 66 feet) and if the device is far from the wi-fi the speeds are slower as compared to devices that are near modem and to get speeds at the far ends one may have to set up additional devices like boosters which is an additional expenditure
Wi-fi is one of the necessary inventions for the smart world and is the only flexible technology to connect through the internet or the world through various devices. It has become so necessary that when a relative visits you the second thing they ask after your health is your wifi password!